Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Freedom of Expression

I am a tenured middle school social studies teacher. I have a strong sense of civic responsibility, which I think is important for me to model for my students. When our district’s superintendent made a policy decision recently that I felt violated the rights of teachers, I wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper opposing his decision. My public criticism of the superintendent caused quite a stir in our small community and led to a disruptive controversy among teachers, administrators, students, and parents. The result of the whole thing is that I've been fired for my actions. I feel that I am being punished for exercising my First Amendment right to free expression. I’m proud that my letter sparked a public debate about this important issue; I think I should be thanked, not fired. If I sue to get my job back, am I likely to win?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron Chancy-I think that if she sued she would be likely to win. A similar case is in our book in chapter 9 with Pickering Vs. Board of Education. He sued, go this job back and was awarded 1 million dollars. Under the 1st Amendment Act the teacher had the right to speak out on how she felt about policies that the superintendent put in place. Also, she is a tenured teacher, and as long as she was a good effective teacher then her job is promised. She would win if she sued.

Anonymous said...

Andrew Cooper- She is most likely to prevail. With organizations set up to defend Teachers rights, she would most definitely have a good case. I agree with her, her rights were not given, and she was ridiculed for them.

Anonymous said...

Rajon McCall: What you did as a voice was extremely acceptable especially since it did not offend any of the people you were talking about. Your rights were violated because it was not involved inside the school and plus you were doing your best as a role model.