Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Employment Contracts and Tenure

I am a second-year teacher still in my probationary period. The terms of my employment called for me to be awarded tenure upon the successful completion of my third year of teaching. However, I have been informed that my contract will not be renewed for next year. I was given no reason or explanation for my dismissal; due process procedures were not followed. This situation has me a nervous wreck. I have to have a job next year to support myself. If I take my school district to court, am I likely to get my job back?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron Chancy-Due process is "the use of legal rules and principles established to protect the rights of the accused". One of the main purposes of due process is fairness towards the teacher. This teacher was promised something but then was told that she would not receive it. However, being that she is not tenured as yet, she does not fall under the specific guidelines of a tenured teacher. The first rule in due process for a tenured teacher is that "the teacher must be given timely, detailed, written notice of the charges." The teacher was not given this but she need not need that to be let go because she was not tenured as yet. So, I don't think that if she sued she would win. Probably would just waste money of court fees and lawyers more then anything. She should suck it up and look for another job.

Anonymous said...

Andrew Cooper- Without due process the elimination of a teacher would look pathetic. You must follow the due process of eliminating a teacher if you so desire. To sue would be a good move, because of the lack of professionalism on the schools part. You cant fire a teacher without explanation and not expect a fight back.

Anonymous said...

Rajon McCall: A "Due Process" was needed for you to be fired (Especially in short notice). Your rights were not only violated but the school has cheated you out of a chance to try and get a job at another school.